Asparagus and Mushroom Salad with a Basil Foam
2 bunch Asparagus (chopped)
1 shallot (diced)
2 garlic cloves (sliced)
50g garden peas
100ml vegetable stock
1/2 lemon (zested)
7 asparagus spears
Basil foam (optional)
140g double cream
140g crème fraiche
1 bunch of basil
- For the asparagus purée, begin by sautéing the asparagus, shallots and garlic in a saucepan. When tender add the garden peas, vegetable stock and lemon zest. Place in blender, blitz until smooth and season.
- Lightly sauté the mushrooms and season. Put aside ready to add to the salad later.
- Blanch 5 asparagus spears for 30 seconds in a pan of seasoned boiling water and refresh in icy water. When cooled down, char in a lightly oiled pan. With the remaining 2 asparagus, peel into ribbons.
- Grate the parmesan and lemon zest and place on a tray with baking parchment. Bake at 180 for 8 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Time to assemble. Lightly warm the purée and place in the middle of the plate. Place 3 charred asparagus spears facing north and 2 facing west.
- Scatter the mushrooms around the asparagus, season with some of the parmesan. Add the asparagus ribbons and more parmesan.
- For the basil foam (optional) Simmer the milk and basil for 20 minutes. Add the cream and crème fraiche. Blitz and garnish the salad one table spoon at a time.
- Finish with Borage mustard frills and chive oil.