- Pre-heat your oven to 180c
- Peel and de-seed the pumpkin and cut into small cubes. Finely dice the shallot and slice the garlic.
- Add a dash of olive oil to a wide based pan, slowly cook the shallot, pumpkin and garlic in the oil for 2 minutes. (Mind they do not brown).
- Add the rice and cook for a further minute, when the rice is hot to the touch add a dash of cider vinegar and the wine. Cook until dry, stirring all the time.
- Over a low heat, slowly add the vegetable stock a little at a time, stirring constantly until the rice is nearly cooked (approximately 15 minutes.)
- Whilst the rice is cooking, make the caramelised walnuts. Start by bringing the sugar and water to the boil to make a syrup. Once the sugar has dissolved, pop in the walnuts and boil for a moment, then strain and bake in the oven with a pinch of sea salt until golden brown (approx 5 minutes.)
- Season the risotto with salt and pepper, add the mascarpone, the parmesan cheese and butter.
- To finish the risotto, add sage, sprinkle walnuts on top along with a few shavings of parmesan.
Don’t throw away the pumpkin skin, it makes a lovely stock.
- Place the skins in the oven (180c) with a touch of oil and a little salt and pepper roast until golden brown.
- Add the roasted peelings to a pan and cover with water. Add a Bay leaf, touch of garlic if you like and simmer for half an hour.
- Allow to cool and then strain for the most delicious pumpkin stock which you can use as vegetable stock.
Arancini/crispy risotto balls:
Leftover risotto is much like leftover wine, allegedly it never happens! But if it does, this crispy Arancini/risotto ball recipe is perfect. No waste here.
You’ll need flour with a pinch of salt, egg, breadcrumbs and some hot oil.
- Let the risotto cool properly in the fridge. Lightly wet your hands and roll the risotto in to desert-spoon size balls.
- Dip the balls in the flour, beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs. (For an extra crispy coating, dip in the egg and breadcrumbs once more)
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Enjoy!