Crispy fried Brie with homemade Cumberland sauce
The most sensational dish, which I always reserve for Christmas, is our crispy fried Brie served with homemade Cumberland sauce.
For the Cumberland Sauce
25ml Grand Marnier
A dash of cider vinegar
For the Crispy Fried Brie
1 ripe Brie
Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
1 ltr of oil for frying
- First let’s make the sauce. Peel and finely slice the orange zest and place in a small pan and cover with cold water, then bring to the boil. Strain and leave to one side.
- Juice the oranges and put to one side.
- Pour the sugar into a pan, place on a medium heat and take to a golden caramel.
- Add the orange juice, port and Grand Marnier. Continue to cook to a sauce consistency. Then add the cider vinegar and the zest for a hint of acidity.
- Cut the soft Brie into golf ball-sized chunks, dust with season flour, dip into beaten egg, then the breadcrumbs. For a double crispy coating add it back into the egg and bread crumbs once more.
- Deep fry in hot oil at 180°C until golden brown.
- Serve with the Cumberland sauce and a watercress salad.